Rent a Car at Barcelona AirportLooking for Car Rentals? Discover All the Barcelona Airport Car Hire Options
Barcelona Airport Car Hire
Barcelona has so many things to see! Although its public transportation system is considered efficient enough and the historical center of the city is full of attractions and places worth visiting, so many sights are outside the heart of the city and hence, they are much easier accessible via car. Therefore, a BCN Airport car rental is always a good idea to see the city as well as the rest of the beautiful Catalonian area.
All the major car rental companies operate at El Prat Airport. Additionally, many local providers offer car hire services. Thus, you’ll have plenty of options if you decide to hire a car rental for your Barcelona transfers. If you are landing at BCN T1, you’ll find the car hire desks right after the baggage claim area. On the other hand, the car rental companies are located at section B of Terminal Building 2, near the main exit.
Have you given any thought to which type of vehicle you would prefer? You can find almost every car type at El Prat Airport. Mini cars, economy vehicles, convertibles and models that can fit up to 7 passengers are available at Barcelona Airport. Set your needs (number of persons, luggage, parking needs, budget etc.) and choose the car rental that best suits them.
Car Rental Companies at Barcelona Airport
Several international and local car rental providers offer their services at Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat Airport. Thus, finding the best car hire deal and the top value for money car rental option requires good research.
Explicitly, you’ll find the following companies operating at BCN Airport:
Car Hire Companies at T1
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Record Go
Car Hire Companies at T2
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Record Go
How to Make the Best Car Hire Deal
- Before deciding on your car rental, you should define your exact needs (luggage, number of persons etc.).
- Pre-booking your car rental is always a good idea so as to secure low-cost prices and find the type of vehicle you want. In fact, the sooner you make your reservation, the better deals you’ll find.
- Online bookings are usually cheaper than renting a car in place.
- The best value for money car hire option is not necessarily the cheaper one. Check out the customer reviews and take into account all the details before making your final choice.
- Choose a fuel-to-fuel policy to avoid extra fuel surcharges when returning the vehicle.
- If you choose a pick-up location outside the airport, the price for your car rental will probably be lower. However, in that case, you’ll have to take a shuttle bus to get to your car rental.
- The charge for a car rental is calculated per day. Therefore, choose your drop-off time carefully, otherwise, you may be charged for a whole extra day!
Car Rental Tips
- If you have special needs (Wi-Fi, baby seats, Bluetooth, GPS), you should mention them to find the car type that responds best to your requirements.
- Always respect the speed limits (50km in inhabited areas, 90km on the standard roads, 120km on highways).
- You must wear seat belts at all times, while if you have children, they must always be seated at the fitting baby seats.
- Bear in mind that the alcohol limit is 0.05%.
- You should always take some pictures of your car rental before renting it so as to be able to prove any already existing damage.
- The phone number for any emergency is 112.
- To make your reservation or pick up the car rental you have already booked, you have to hand over a credit card, your ID and your driving license. Some types of vehicles may require more conditions (minimum age, minimum years of having the driving license etc.).
- You should always take the extra insurance for your car rental to be properly covered for any potential damage.
- Some credit cards offer standard insurance coverage. You should check if that applies to yours.
- Keep always your insurance papers and all the car documents inside the vehicle.
- Free parking exists in Barcelona, although most parking areas belong to the green or the blue parking zones. Those are paid parking areas that require a parking ticket. The blue zone can be distinguished by the blue lines on the pavement, while the green by the green ones. Parking is allowed only for up to 2 hours at the Green Areas and 4 hours at the Blue.
- Many private garages and car parks are also to be found in the metropolitan area of Barcelona.
Is it cheaper to wait to rent a car?
The sooner the better tends to be the best way to ensure you get the best price for your car rental. Therefore, unless it is inevitable, you shouldn’t wait for a last-minute reservation.
Do you need additional insurance when renting a car?
Do your homework before deciding on the additional insurance! Firstly, you should check if your own car insurance extends to rental cars or if your credit card covers damages to rentals. If so is the case, additional insurance is not necessary.