Taxis in Barcelona: Overview
For “taxi lovers”, Barcelona should be a heaven on earth. More than 11.000 taxis traverse the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona, providing top-rated and modern services. What’s more, their cost is considered affordable compared to other European cities! Taxi ranks lie everywhere in the city while hailing a Barcelona cab from the street is far from challenging.
On the other hand, Barcelona’s public transportation system is very efficient. However, who might prefer using the public bus or the subway on a rainy day, during the night, after a few drinks or when in a rush? Barcelona black and yellow taxis offer door-to-door rides and are being seen as the most convenient and safe way of transport. Just look for a taxi vehicle with the distinctive green light on (marking it’s free) and enjoy your transfer!
Barcelona Taxi Fares
Barcelona taxis are metered. Thus their final fare is indicated by a taximeter and consists of an initial fare and an extra cost based on the traversed distance. Moreover, extra charges may apply depending on the time of day, the departure point (airport, cruise port etc.) or the destination.
In general terms, taxis in Barcelona are not pricey. Do you want to know what exactly to expect? Are you going to travel from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on a weekday? Then, tariff 1 will apply, meaning that you will be charged 2.25€/2.67$ for the initial tariff and 1.18€/1.40$ for every kilometer of the travelled distance. On the other hand, if your transfer takes place during the night (8:00 am – 8:00 pm) or on a weekend/ holiday, although the starting fee will be the same, the cost per km will rise to 1.45€/1.72$. In any case, the exact amount to be paid is the one written on the taximeter at the end of the journey.
You can easily pay the taxi fare using cash, credit/debit cards, or even via taxi apps. However, even though every taxi should be equipped with a card POS system, it might be broken, or its connection might be lost. Hence, you should always be prepared to pay in cash. Note that Barcelona taxi drivers are obliged to have change for up to 20€/24$. Therefore, you should carry some small bills with you.
How to Hire a Taxi in Barcelona
More than 200 taxi stands are at your disposal in the Barcelona Metropolitan Area, lying in the busiest areas of the city, outside shopping centers, museums, theaters etc. The safest way to hire a taxi is to head to the nearest taxi stop and take the first cab waiting in line. Keep in mind that you can’t hail a taxi from the street near the taxi stands, as the taxi drivers are obligated to wait in line for their turn.
Alternatively, you can stop a Barcelona taxi on the street simply by lifting your hand. Empty Barcelona taxis have a green light switched on their roof. Hence, you won’t face any difficulty in standing out one of them. Finally, phone or SMS bookings are another option, while popular taxi apps (Join Up Taxi, MyTaxi etc.) offer their services in Barcelona.
How to Distinguish Barcelona Taxis
Barcelona taxis are black and yellow. Nevertheless, how is it possible to distinguish a taxi with the same colors that is not official? First of all, official taxis in Barcelona have a distinctive taxi sign on their roof with a green light on it, which is on when they are empty and off when they already have passengers. Moreover, they are equipped with a taximeter, clearly displayed, as well as with the taxi’s ID plate and the driver’s identity card. Last but not least, they have a sticker on their back windows, with all the extra charges and fares written on it.
Barcelona Taxis to Barcelona El Prat Airport
Useful Information about Barcelona Taxis
- Barcelona taxis are metered. Thus, you should always check if the taximeter is reset and on when entering the cab.
- You should always ask for a receipt, as all the taxi driver’s data is written on it. Thus, you can use it in case you want to make an official complaint or you have forgotten something in the vehicle.
- All the rates should be displayed on a sticker, placed on the back window of the vehicle.
- The 4.30€/5.11$ surcharge also applies for transfers from and to the Cruise Port.
- Rides from the main stations have a 2.50€/3$ extra fee.
- On special nights (23-24/6, 24-25-31/12, 1/1), taxis charge an extra 3.10€/3.66$.
- The rides outside the Metropolitan Area have a different price table.
- There are special taxis in Barcelona that can carry up to 8 passengers. However, there is a 4.30€/5.11$ supplement fee for those vehicles. Moreover, pre-booking is necessary.
- There are also special vehicles for persons with reduced mobility. Pre-booking is necessary in that case too.
- Although extra charges may apply for luggage, there is no extra fee for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Toll fees are being added to the final taxi fare.
- Barcelona taxis cannot be hailed on the street if they are close to an official taxi stand.
- Tipping isn’t obligatory, but it’s surely appreciated!
- The numbers on the taxi sign indicate the type of fare, depending on the day and time. They are there just for the traffic police to see.
How expensive are taxis in Barcelona?
Barcelona taxis are considered affordable. They are metered, and hence, there are no fixed prices for the transfers inside the city zones. In general terms, the flag price is 2.25€/2.67$, and the charge per km is 1.18€/1.40$ for weekdays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and 1.45€/1.72$ for night rides, weekends and holidays.
Is there a taxi app in Barcelona?
There are numerous taxi apps in Barcelona. Hailo, MyTaxi, Pide Taxi and Cabify are only some of them.
Do taxis take credit cards in Barcelona?
Barcelona taxis accept payments in cash or via credit/debit cards. However, you should always check with your driver before starting your journey. Furthermore, it is always advisable to carry some cash with you in case there is a problem with the POS connection.